GETTING BACK TO NORMAL WITH TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR HEART FAILURE
Having a diagnosis of heart failure is stressful enough. It creates ripples far beyond your personal life and impinges on your lifestyle and how it use to be. The Pumping Marvellous Foundation quickly identified this as an area we would like to try and fix or at least give HOPE to people who struggle to get insurance coverage through the mainstream insurers.
We listened to doctors and nurses as to the type of questions patients were asking about going on holiday, we then went our there to find a provider.
We felt that instead of recommending a single provider, why not make people aware of a comparison website where you have a choice of which insurer you decide to use.
Before you progress, please read our booklet “My Marvellous Guide to Travelling with Heart Failure” which you will find in our Patient Academy.
If you are planning a holiday, ensuring you have travel insurance is an absolute must!
If you were to go away without cover, and the worst should happen, you could run into bills costing tens of thousands of pounds. Making sure you have the right cover for your condition, and at an affordable price, will give you and your family peace of mind.
A specialist travel insurance comparison site, such as www.medicaltravelcompared.co.uk, can help as they are designed
specifically for people with pre-existing medical conditions, including heart conditions.
By answering a few quick questions online, they’ll compare quotes from over 40 insurance providers, so you don’t have to. Whether you’re struggling to get cover based on age or medical history, or perhaps you’re looking for a better quote, they can give you a choice.
We do not recommend any insurer. You can search the many insurance sites now available to find the right policy for you as we believe you should have a choice.
Every purchase through Medical Travel Compared means that the Pumping Marvellous Foundation receives 20% of your total policy after IPT (Insurance Premium Tax). e.g. Policy Value is £100; the Pumping Marvellous Foundation receives £16. This helps us provide patients and their families with valuable information to help them live better with heart failure.
Travel Insurance Tips
If you are planning a holiday, ensuring you have travel insurance is an absolute must! If you were to go away without cover, and the worst should happen, you could run into bills costing tens of thousands of pounds. Making sure you have the right cover for your condition, and at an affordable price, will give you and your family peace of mind.
Using a specialist travel insurance comparison site, such as www.medicaltravelcompared.co.uk, can help as they are specifically for people with pre-existing medical conditions, including heart conditions. By answering a few quick questions online, they’ll compare quotes from over 40 insurance providers, so you don’t have to.
Whether you’re struggling to get cover based on age or medical history, or perhaps you’re looking for a better quote, they can help give you that choice.
- Most insurance companies will need to know if you have ever been diagnosed with or treated for a heart or circulatory condition – so make sure you declare full details about your health
- Travel insurance doesn’t have to be prohibitively expensive because of your condition, comparing prices from specialist providers may help you save time and money
- Your holiday destination will have a bearing on your insurance premiums – healthcare costs can vary wildly for different countries
- If you are planning to take a few trips across a year, getting an Annual Multi-Trip policy could be more cost-effective for you
- If you do take out an Annual Multi-Trip policy, start your policy as soon as possible. You’ll only be covered for cancellation from your policy start date!
- And you want to make sure your cancellation cover is enough to cover any flights and accommodation you have booked
- Rather than looking for the cheapest policy, check the cover you’ll be getting – do you need cover for your baggage? Your gadgets? Are you covered for going on a cruise? Will you be covered if your airline fails?
- If you have already taken out your policy and your medical condition changes, or worsens before you go away, be sure to tell your insurance provider
- Keep a note of your policy details when you go away including their emergency phone number – so you can get the help you need quickly
Additional Information for post Brexit and the COVID-19 Pandemic
Can I still get travel insurance?
Yes – you can! With the introduction of the government’s new traffic light system, and many countries opening their borders to Brits, travel insurance must be a key consideration when booking a holiday.
The most important thing to check is still the advice of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO). If at the time of your trip, the FCDO is advising against travel to your destination, then any travel insurance cover you have in place will no longer be valid.
What COVID-19 cover is available?
This information is supplied by Medical Travel Compared – “As a minimum, we’ve ensured that every travel insurance provider available through our site now includes emergency medical cover, including repatriation, for COVID-19. If you fall ill with COVID-19 whilst on holiday, and require treatment, you’ll be able to get help with the medical costs or even be brought home for medical treatment if required.
Some of our travel insurance providers are also able to offer Enhanced COVID-19 Cover, including some cancellation protection. We’ll make it clear which policies they are and, depending on your policy. The specifics of the cover will vary from provider to provider, so it’s important that you check your policy wording thoroughly.”
Dictionary – “A special quality or feature regarded as the chief factor in the success of something or someone.”
So, what’s your “Secret Sauce?” What makes you tick?
At Pumping Marvellous, we know it takes some real inner drive to live well with heart failure. Pumping Marvellous are Secret Sauce catalysts; we draw out people’s inner Secret Sauce, people’s superpowers and enable other people to learn from other people’s experiences.Learn more